Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Object X: Water

Object X is speaker series in which professors and students from different disciplines analyze a single object, highlighting the multiplicity of perspectives present in our daily lives. Asking the simple question “What is water?”, the next Object X event will focus on water. It is scheduled for September 3 at 7:00pm in the wonderful Allen Bales Theatre.

Creative Campus contacted me a few months ago and asked me to apply to speak at Object X. They wanted some idea of what I had to say on the subject of water. I thought about all the usual ideas - water as a metaphor for emotions, water as an endless journey, novels about the water or featuring water. It all seemed boring. Then I remembered something I'd written about writing: 

Writing your first novel is like swimming underwater to a place you've never been before, while trying to inhale water and exhale whalesong, while simultaneously writing a novel about swimming underwater to a place you've never been before, while trying to inhale water and exhale whalesong.

My talk will feature underwater swimming, and exhalations of water, and whalesongs, and writing. Something like that. If you have a few minutes (each speaker only gets 8 minutes), please come out on Tuesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment